Reviews written by Fwwadmin

121 results - showing 71 - 80
« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »
Ordering
May 11, 2016 (Updated: May 29, 2016)
Rating 

Urban Fantasy
A young witch is trying to survive in a world that doesn't like people they can't control

I recently listened to the audio book Black Magic Sanction and found the character development enjoyable and interesting.  The plot moved quickly and kept me interested in the story of a young witch trying to survive in a world that doesn't like people they can't control. Rachel is a young witch with some extremely unusual powers and abilities but that is not the most interesting part of this book.   What I found most interesting is her strong relationships with her friends.  Much like a superhero team Rachel and her friends all blend their diverse skills well to help...

F
Fwwadmin
May 11, 2016
Rating 

Mr. Howe does a great job of researching and objectively describing the evolution of Marvel Comics

If you have any interest in the history of Marvel comics this book, Marvel Comics: The Untold Story by Sean Howe is perfect for you.  I won't leave you in suspense and will tell you I rate this book 5 stars.  Mr. Howe does a great job of researching and objectively describing the evolution of Marvel comics and the people that work there. I will admit my review will not be as objective as his book though.  I experienced much of the history of Marvel...

F
Fwwadmin
May 11, 2016
Rating 

All Other Genres
Action and depth of characters beyond most superhero stories

H.E.R.O. - New Markets is another great superhero novel by Kevin Rau.  A criminal mastermind is capturing heroes to reprogram their minds and sell them to the highest bidder.  How will the young heroes escape and who will they bring in to help them? H.E.R.O. - New Markets is the second book in the series by Kevin Rau with the first book, H.E.R.O. - Metamorphosis available as an ebook for free on Amazon.  New Markets starts off just a few days after the adventures in the first book.  The young heroes...

F
Fwwadmin
May 11, 2016
Rating 

All Other Genres
H.E.R.O. - Metamorphosis is recommended to comic fans

H.E.R.O. - Metamorphosis by Kevin Rau is a great book I just finished reading.  The story revolves around three college-aged kids named Stephanie, Rael, and Lance that suddenly find themselves with superpowers.  Another huge bonus is that this first book is available as an ebook for free on Amazon. I found this book to be highly enjoyable.  I have read a ton of comic books over the last 30 years and a few books about superheroes and found this to be among the best.  Why you may ask, let...

F
Fwwadmin
May 07, 2016
Rating 

SciFi
Action and science in a SciFi space exploration thriller

Saturn Run has the potential to be one of the great SciFi stories or at least a really good movie.  The race is on between China and the United States for each to have their manned space missions reach Saturn after alien spaceships are sighted their by telescope. There is so much to like about this book.  The book begins with a less than fully qualified art major makes the discovery of a lifetime of an alien ship heading for Saturn.  The main characters are then introduced as they are recruited to be engineers, scientists, reporters, and photographers on...

F
Fwwadmin
May 07, 2016 (Updated: May 07, 2016)
Rating 

Dull story with too much dialogue and a rushed ending

Gatefather simply put was poorly executed by author Orson Scott Card.  I am a fan of the author's SciFi books such as Ender's Game and was excited to read this urban fantasy book by him.  Sadly it fell far short of my expectations. The story begins with young Danny, the gate mage, who has had his body taken over by the Gate Thief.  The Gate Thief uses Danny's great powers to try to have sex with teenage girls Danny knows and to troll the Internet for lude material.  And the story goes downhill from here. There is a long...

F
Fwwadmin
May 01, 2016
Rating 

Not the same epic story or characters from Ender's Game

Ender Wiggins from Ender's Game fame is now a Speaker for the Dead.  He has spent the last 3,000 years traveling from planet to planet speaking for those that have died. The book begins by introducing a small group of two scientists who are researching the only remaining alien race after the supposed eradication of the aliens by Ender thousands of years earlier.  The two scientists are strictly regulated regarding their interactions with this remaining alien race that are nicknamed Piggies based on their physical similarities to pigs.  A young woman, Natilie, joins...

F
Fwwadmin
May 01, 2016
Rating 

Roma- an interesting telling of ancient Rome by Steven Saylor

I have decided to expand reviews here on fantasyworldwriter.com beyond just fantasy and SciFi to include other categories.  This review is of the historical fiction book "Roma" by Steven Saylor. "Roma" covers the history of Rome from the early days of Romulas and Remus up to Augustus and Cleopatra.  The story flows based on a member of the  Potitii family being part of many of the historical periods of Rome. I enjoyed this book as an ebook and liked the personal touch added to the...

F
Fwwadmin
April 27, 2016 (Updated: April 27, 2016)
Rating 

Great fantasy series with some superheroic action

Bands of Mourning was the first book I have read in the Mistborn world but it won't be my last.  As a huge fan of superhero comics I loved reading about Waxillium, Wayne and the rest of their unusual group of adventures.  Waxillium reminds me of Batman as he uses his detective abilities and a special belt to fight crime.  Wayne has healing powers and an unusual view of personal ownership which reminds me of Wolverine. Waxillium is a lawman in a world similar to the late 19th-century but with some major twists.  He has two powers in that...

F
Fwwadmin
April 25, 2016
Rating 

Fantasy
Harry Potter-like world with young people with magic based on math and chalk drawing

The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson is an interesting twist on fantasy wizards in a modern world.  The magic users are called Rithmatist because they bring chalk drawings  to life.  No one wants to be a Rithmatist more than the main character, Joel, who is student at Ardemius Academy. Joel is interesting in that he is not a good student.  Many of his classes he finds boring with no practical application.  But he has a passion for rithmatic theories.  Throughout the book you are introduced to the "science" which includes various defensive and offensive chalk drawings that use varying numbers...

F
Fwwadmin
121 results - showing 71 - 80
« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »