Reviews written by Fwwadmin

121 results - showing 61 - 70
« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »
Ordering
May 30, 2016
Rating 

Fantasy
The series continues to improve as their world expands

Hunted is the second book in the Dragonlands series by Megg Jensen and the story really gets going in this book.   The first book was about Hutton's Bridge, a small town separated from the rest of the world by a fog wall, that people enter but never return from.  The wall comes down in the first book and Bastian, Tressa, and Conner adventure out to the city ruled by a cruel warrior queen. But in this book you learn more about the rest of the world as the trio look for their townsfolk who have suddenly disappeared.  Other...

F
Fwwadmin
May 28, 2016 (Updated: May 28, 2016)
Rating 

Fantasy
Poorly executed fantasy story that didn't engage me

I have read a lot of fantasy novels over the years and this was not one of the good ones. The storyline is very shallow about a young man beginning to learn that he is a mage a he travels with an older shaman. The main problem with this book is that the plotline is rushed and when a good concept is introduced it is not described well and only discussed after it happens.  The characters are also not well developed as they talk more about where they are going and not about who they...

F
Fwwadmin
May 24, 2016
Rating 

Dystopian
Not as much added to the Silo series as I would have hoped

I read Wool, the first book in the Silo Series, about two months ago and now am reviewing Shift.  Shift starts a prequel about a young politician named Donald who helps design the interiors for the silos.  There a three main plotlines and time periods in Shift and Donald by being put into suspended animation is a part of all three. My problem is that I found Donald to be a fairly uninteresting character.  He really doesn't have much motivation or even understanding of what is going on and so you as the reader don't learn about exactly what...

F
Fwwadmin
May 16, 2016
Rating 

All Other Genres
Those that enjoy super hero stories and fantasy or SciFi should enjoy this book

I just finished reading Superiority Complex by Samuel Eden and here is my review of the book. This superhero novel focuses on four characters; two heroes and two villains. The first story is about Jason Chalmers, a hero that suddenly finds himself on the premier superhero team, The Defenders, right out of superhero school because of his unique powers including precognition and chronal energy discharge. Jason goes by the superhero name Slipstream and finds himself learning on the job as he faces off against a horde of zombies. I found the section about Slipstream to be one of the...

F
Fwwadmin
May 16, 2016
Rating 

Fantasy
Great series about a young girl that trains to be a knight

It has been some time since I read this series but I will simply say Protector of the Small is a great series. You get to read about the trials that a young person (a young girl in this story) goes through to become a knight.  The training is grueling both physically and mentally but young Kel is up to the challenge. If you enjoy stories of young people growing up and showing bravery and heart before they become great like I do than read this book.  I think it is one of the best fantasy/historical fiction series that...

F
Fwwadmin
May 16, 2016
Rating 

Military SciFi tactics and technology against 100,000 barbarians= fun reading

March to the Sea is the second book of the series by David Weber and John Ringo about Prince Roger McClintock and his royal bodyguards who get stranded on a backward alien planet. This time around though he has become a leader in both name and in reality.  His group has made it across the continent only to be under siege by 100,000 barbarians hell-bent on destroying everyone in there way.  But nomads with axes are no match for plasma rifles, powered armor or artillery. Read how they bring a whole city together...

F
Fwwadmin
May 16, 2016
Rating 

Great military SciFi with a spoiled rich prince who turns into much more

Empire of Man is a great series and as soon as I read this first book, March Upcountry, I found myself reading the second book. This first book is probably the best and you are introduced to a great character in Roger Ramius Sergei Chiang MacClintock.  He is the prince of a powerful empire that spans numerous worlds and is used to living a very privileged life.  However, as the third born no one ever took him seriously and he gained a well-desired bad reputation.  Suddenly, he is shipwrecked on a backward planet with his bodyguards.  They may be...

F
Fwwadmin
May 15, 2016
Rating 

The origin of Bean from Ender's game

I have read several books by author Orson Scott Card and this is one of the better ones.  This story is the origin of Ender's right-hand man, Bean.   Bean was born in a world where the young were not only not cared for but often left to die of starvation.  Bean was the youngest and smallest but he used his amazing brain to become part of a child gang and change the whole dynamics of the gang and survived. He then got recognized for his amazing abilities and went of to battle school where he heard of the...

F
Fwwadmin
May 14, 2016
Rating 

Great fantasy/SciFi book and free is a great price

It was awhile ago that I read this book so I can't give it a comprehensive review like I usually do.  I will tell you that I remember that the characters were interesting with a guy that could fly with the use of magical/science-based loadstones and a woman and a young girl who were unlikely teammates. They meet and you learn some about their backgrounds in this story based in a world of different and yet similar creatures to what we have on Earth.  At the end of the book the group makes...

F
Fwwadmin
May 14, 2016
Rating 

Epic SciFi world is back but missing some of the magic

Kevin J. Anderson's epic SciFi world is back and it is 20 years after the great storyline from his previous Saga of Seven Suns series.  The main characters from that previous series are older now and it is their children that are coming into relevance now. I am always impressed with how many characters and various worlds Mr. Anderson can weave into his books and The Dark Between the Stars is no exception.  In this book you are introduced to two people that have as their life mission to gather scientists to develop cures for diseases which they then...

F
Fwwadmin
121 results - showing 61 - 70
« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »