Reviews written by Fwwadmin

121 results - showing 41 - 50
« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »
Ordering
November 06, 2016
Rating 

Dystopian
Great book about faith and love in a world that has lost both

16-year-old Frost lives in a horrible world.  All of her life she has lived in a few rooms in a run down building. Outside is a dangerous world of rooming Eaters, killer robots, and gangs of cruel humans looking to enslave anyone they find. Frost has been living with pet, Romes, and a robot, Bunt, who sometimes has the mind of her father.   Romes gets sick and Frost believes that the one way t save him is to leave the safety of the only home she has ever know and take Romes to a rumored place...

F
Fwwadmin
November 03, 2016
Rating 

Fun look at the end of the Empire after Return of the Jedi

I listened to the audible book of Star Wars: Aftermath a few weeks ago. The story is set after Return of the Jedi in the timeline. The Empire has lost the war but still have plenty of firepower to win smaller battles.   On the remote planet of Akiva three Empiral Star destroyers arrive for a secret meeting to determine their next move. Opposing them is a small group of interesting if somewhat unknown characters.  The group includes an Empiral defector, an insane killer droid and a mother and son.   The story was entertaining...

F
Fwwadmin
October 21, 2016
Rating 

Urban Fantasy
Harry Dresden is one of my favorite wizards and will be one of yours too

I continue to find that I am a fan of the unique fantasy stories written by Jim Butcher and Storm Front is no exception. Harry Dresden is a great example of an interesting character that is both a detective and a wizard in an urban setting. Harry could be considered a fish out of water as he is trying to make a living as a wizard in a world much like ours where wizards are considered hacks or con artists with no real abilities.   The difference is that Harry really is a wizard and a powerful...

F
Fwwadmin
October 21, 2016 (Updated: November 02, 2016)
Rating 

SciFi
Solid continuation about space exploration becoming a mature industry

Rogue Star by Michael Flynn is the very good second book that continues the story started in Firestar. Whereas Firestar began the story of private space flights Rogue Star focuses on a long space flight to explore an asteroid.    I enjoy these books because the stories and characters are so lifelike. For example, a group of three astronauts are on a trip to a passing asteroid and you learn a lot about their personalities and fears along with some secrets that I won't reveal about the asteroid itself. You also find out more about Mariesa van Huyten, the...

F
Fwwadmin
October 16, 2016
Rating 

Redone story previously in the novel First Test that didn't live up to the original

Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce is the story of young woman named Alanna who decides to train to be a knight. The problem is that she needs to disguise herself as a boy since girls are not allowed to be knights. This is a fantasy book targeted to teens and as such I am not exactly the demographic the book is written for. The story was very familiar to me as I have also read the entire Protector of the Small series also by Tamora Pierce. My problem is that I...

F
Fwwadmin
October 16, 2016
Rating 

SciFi
Realistic story about the difficulties of privately funding a space program

Firestar by Michael Flynn is the first book in his science fiction series about people rediscovering outer space in the near future.   Unlike most science fiction books where space travel is well developed this series delves into a very plausible world that could occur in the next few decades.   Mariesa van Huyten is a very rich leader of a conglomerate of companies that secret begin developing and testing new planes capable of traveling into space. Much of the story revolves and several pilots charged with testing the new planes.    Several...

F
Fwwadmin
October 09, 2016
Rating 

SciFi
Thriller about a family facing an alien invasion that reads like Fear the Walking Dead

Invasion is the first in the science fiction series Alien Invasion by Sean Platt and Johnny B Truant but it reminds me more of a dystopian or thriller story such as Fear the Walking Dead.   The story begins with a family in New York City learning that alien spaceships have been spotted and are expected to reach Earth in five days. As pandemonium hits they attempt to escape New York because "everyone knows New York is where everything happens" and reach their shelter in Vail, Colorado.   Much like Fear the Walking Dead the...

F
Fwwadmin
October 06, 2016
Rating 

Dystopian
Fast paced story with plenty of action

I have listened to Amped as an audio book twice now and think it is an excellent example of dystopian science fiction. The main character, Owen, is a young man with unique cybernetic implants that make him an "amp". "Amps" have no rights and are treated more like animals than people. The average implants transforms children with learning difficulties into super intelligent or athletic kids that normal kids just can't compete with.   And then there is Owen who thought his physician father gave him an average implant that just keeps him from having epileptic seizures but...

F
Fwwadmin
October 06, 2016
Rating 

All Other Genres
Fun read about witches and werewolfs in a Victorian era

The busy season at work and with kids sports is slowing down so it is time to get caught up with a bunch of book reviews. So up next is the young adult mystery and thriller Julia Vanishes by Catherine Egan.    This was an enjoyable read about Julia, a young woman who can't actually turn invisible but instead can become unseen. She takes a job as a housekeeper at an elderly ladies residence but is actually a spy planning to steal something from the house. There are an interesting group of characters at the house including the old...

F
Fwwadmin
September 14, 2016
Rating 

Historical Fiction
Kids that time travel- fun but missing something for adults

A Mutany in Time is a rather short story at 192 pages but as a children's historical fiction targeted for 8 to 11 year olds I suppose that is appropriate.   I liked the beginning of the story as two kids discovered that one of their parents had a nearly completed time machine locked in their garage-like building. They then find themselves in the middle of a battle between those that are trying to correct time anomalies and those that want to kill time travelers to maintain the altered timeline where they rule.   The...

F
Fwwadmin
121 results - showing 41 - 50
« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »