Reviews written by Fwwadmin

121 results - showing 31 - 40
« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »
Ordering
December 24, 2016
Overall Rating 

Amazing series that I can't wait until July for season 2

I really don't know how Netflix continues to create such top notch original series and here is another one. If you haven't watched Stranger Things yet you simply have to right now. The story is about a monster and a missing boy (and a teenage girl everyone seems to forget about). This series is set in the 1980s and is so obviously inspired by movies like E.T. and Goonies that IMDB.com even has a page that shows 53 '70s and '80s Movies That Inspired "Stranger Things". While wondering what would happen next and if the kids and town sheriff...

F
Fwwadmin
December 23, 2016
Overall Rating 

I found a new scifi series to watch

I have actually watched all the recorded shows on my TiVo and am happy to say that I stumbled up Aftermath on SyFy. I just started watching the series at the beginning with episode 1 that aired back in September but was still on demand. The episode put it all on the line with several different natural disasters including dead fish landing at the farm after a level five hurricane carried them from the ocean far away. The plot is simple in that a family is just trying to stay alive as they travel in their RV and hope...

F
Fwwadmin
December 23, 2016
Rating 

Urban Fantasy
The Magicians is a fantasy world for adults and of adults, much like the TV series

The Magicians is the urban fantasy book by Lev Grossman also became the TV series on SyFy of the same name. It will be difficult to review just the book here as I saw the show and noticed some differences between the book and the movie but I will try.   The plot of the story is that there several young adults attend a magic school and end up encountering magically creatures and villains.  Yes, it sounds an awful lot like the Harry Potter series but this book is not targeted for a young adult as it...

F
Fwwadmin
December 17, 2016
Rating 

Welcome to the fantasy world of the mistborn- sit back and enjoy

I just finished listening to the audiobook of Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson and here is my review. I continue to be a fan of the worlds that Brandon Sanderson created in his novels and Mistborn: The Final Empire is a wonderfully entertaining world and a very interesting story.   The world is very dystopian in that greenery is only part of legend and creatures in the mists make it dangerous to go out at night. The Skaa, a group of people are treated as lesser beings and serve as slaves to the nobles. Many...

F
Fwwadmin
December 09, 2016
Rating 

Urban Fantasy
Urban fantasy has a new female mage in Allie Beckstrom who has an unusual relationship with magic

Magic to the Bone is an urban fantasy novel by Devon Monk. I can't help compare the main character, Allison Beckstrom with Harry Dresden of the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. Both are magic users in worlds were magic exists but is not completely believed or understood. They also both tend to have bad luck or stick their noses into trouble that tends to get them hurt. There are some significant difference beside the obvious that Allie is female and Harry is male though. In the world Allie...

F
Fwwadmin
December 03, 2016
Overall Rating 

Solid introduction of Dr. Strange to the Marvel movie universe

I recently saw Dr. Strange (yes, I know I am always one of the last to see and review movies) and found it to be a solid and entertaining movie. The origin story of an arrogant yet brilliant neurosurgeon thst loses his ability do perform surgeries after a car accident was well done. It was a nice introduction to the man that becomes the sorcerer supreme Dr. Strange. The action was also well done and visually amazing explaining that the magic was done in a mirror dimension. Like most superhero movies the plot wasn't extremely complex. Beat the minions...

F
Fwwadmin
November 27, 2016 (Updated: November 27, 2016)
Overall Rating 

Great action movie and impressive character introductions

This is the movie many of us have been waiting for since Avengers 1.  It was great to see the action and combat between Captain America's team and Iron Man's team.  The special effects and camera work were exceptional.   I felt this was one of the best overall superhero movies yet and I can be pretty critical since I am a long time Captain America and Ironman fan.  The movie is a little short on plotline as the Civil War registration act and Baron Zemo as the main villain really were just side notes to the...

F
Fwwadmin
November 25, 2016 (Updated: November 25, 2016)
Rating 

SciFi
Great SciFi series continues with an online cyber battle

Lodestar is the third book in the SciFi Firestar series. The story continues to focus in strong character development and technical details. Jimmy Poole is one of the best characters in the book. He is one of the best computer users in the world and is in an interesting virtual battle online.  The number of characters and their depth is really impressive throughout the entire series.  There is also a young woman in training to be a space pilot that feels she has something to prove. Early on she missed the flight to school which was very lucky as...

F
Fwwadmin
November 12, 2016
Rating 

SciFi
Teen girl learns to adjust to some amazing prosthetics

Bionic is a fun book appropriate for teens about a young girl that gets into a horrific car accident. She tries to adjust to her new life which involves getting several cutting edge robotic parts. Not only does she get a new arm and leg but also several science fiction-like modifications that allow her to gain muscle mass very quickly and learn extremely fast.   The main character, Mira, was written well as she had real life concerns and interests.  Before the accident she played lacrosse and was hoping for a college scholarship. Now she is just...

F
Fwwadmin
November 11, 2016
Rating 

Urban Fantasy
Urban wizard Harry Dresden is back against werewolves and gangsters

I just finished Fool Moon which is part two of The Dresden Files series by James Butcher and I was happy with the story. Wizard Harry Dresden continues to find ways out of magical trouble but not without getting severely pummeled first. This time there is a killer werewolf that Harry needs to stop.   One of my reasons that Harry Dresden is one of my favorite fantasy heroes is that he is still very human and vulnerable. He is always nearly broke and the women in his life often want to arrest him or get him...

F
Fwwadmin
121 results - showing 31 - 40
« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »