Reviews written by Fwwadmin

121 results - showing 101 - 110
« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »
Ordering
April 02, 2016
Rating 

Aliens come to Earth before Ender's Game

Earth Unaware by Orson Scott Card is an excellent book about aliens coming to Earth.  The stars of this story are the people that make first contact with the aliens.  For those of you that know about Ender from Ender's Game this story takes place well before Ender is even born and focuses on a young free miner named Victor.  The aliens are headed towards Earth and only a very few people far off in space know they are coming.  Will Earth remain unaware of that they are coming as the title suggests? Far, far...

F
Fwwadmin
April 02, 2016
Rating 

Three special kids and their Dad discover an alien ship

Shadows in Flight is a short novel by Orson Scott Card in the Ender universe and is book 5 in The Shadow Series.  I would not recommend it for those unfamiliar with the Ender universe.  A plot synopis on Wiki is linked here but basically Bean is a giant with three very special kids who find an alien spaceship on their travels.  This book is really about the relationship between a dying father and his children. I have read at least four other books by Orson Scott Card and normally find his characters...

F
Fwwadmin
March 31, 2016
Rating 

SciFi with conspiracy, computers, and romance

Dispassionate Lies is a sci-fi book by Eileen Schuh that tells of a world that could easily be our future instead of just science fiction. The main character, Ladesque, is a computer programmer given the impossible task of fixing the internet after hackers destroy it. Most of the world has been in a long recession and everyone needs a big win to get back the quality of life they had before. Meanwhile, Ladesque is asked to join the FBI and become a part of a secret project to create a quantum computer that could provide amazing improvements in just...

F
Fwwadmin
March 31, 2016
Rating 

All Other Genres
Plot is similar to an Indiana Jones movie

Hellbounce by Matthew Harrill is a good first book in his ARC Chronicles series. The plot is similar to an Indiana Jones movie.  Eva Ross, a psychologist, and special woman joins with an ancient, secret team called the ARC and needs to use ancient artifacts to stop demons from taking over Earth. I found this book to be an enjoyable start to the ARC Chronicles series.  I had it defined in the horror genre and I admit that I generally don't read horror novels.  However, after reading the book I understand that it...

F
Fwwadmin
March 28, 2016 (Updated: March 28, 2016)
Rating 

Space can be a crappy place to die

Leviathan Wakes is the first book in the SciFi series called The Expanse by James Corey.  The Expanse is also a TV series on SyFy.  I will discuss the book further in my review posted below but the basic plot is that there is a killer virus and three major powers are at the verge of an intergalactic war.  One old cop and small group on a military spaceship are the only ones that can save the galaxy from the virus and all-out war. The story begins as a small crew leaves their ice harvesting space station to...

F
Fwwadmin
March 27, 2016
Rating 

Boba Fett is cool in this short story

This short book is another great example of the depth of the Star Wars universe of characters.  The author, Karen Traviss, does a great job of making Boba Fett and the Mandalorians interesting characters. The Mandalorians are by nature bounty hunters that care about their next paycheck and don't care much who that paycheck comes from.  They serve as a third point of a triangle with Jedi and Sith as the other two points.  In this short book we learn that the bounty hunter philosophy doesn't...

F
Fwwadmin
March 27, 2016
Rating 

Free short SciFi story about alien abduction

In Joubin's Head is a short SciFi story by Justin Key.  At about 1,500 words and 11 pages this is a quick SciFi read.  The plot involves Joubin, a man in the hospital, that is having strange thoughts come into his head.  At first the conversation is very childish meaning that whoever is talking to him is very young or has a very limited knowledge of the English language.  Joubin goes on to have a conversation with this voice inside his head and learns that the voice is that of an alien from another planet.  The alien is learning...

F
Fwwadmin
March 27, 2016
Rating 

Deadly African virus, special forces

Hidden Empire by Orson Scott Card is a great SciFi book based on great characters that you find yourself caring about. The story has two major plots with the obvious plot revolving around the people that go to Africa in order to stop a deadly virus that kills as much as 30% of everyone infected by it. The other plot is more subtle involving the leadership decisions made by President Torrent during the plague. At the beginning of the book we are introduced to Chinma, a 12 year-old African boy who catches monkeys to earn...

F
Fwwadmin
March 26, 2016 (Updated: March 27, 2016)
Rating 

Love me some druid action

The High Druid's Blade: The Defenders of Shannara by Terry Brooks is a great fantasy novel. Paxon Leah is a young man living a non-eventful life until his younger sister gets kidnapped by a man and he must take his family sword and save her. This book immediately made me think that this is what a good fantasy book should be. Paxon starts out as a 20 year old man that is uncertain of where is life should lead. He is running the family air delivery service (yes, the airplanes run by magic in his world) and feels there...

Book-The-High-Druid's-Blade-The-Defenders-of-Shannara.jpg
F
Fwwadmin
March 26, 2016 (Updated: March 26, 2016)
Rating 

Interesting SciFi short stories

Galactic Energies by Luca Rossi is a collection of mostly SciFi short stories. The stories are interesting and well written. You get a collection of unrelated stories that usually involve a surprising plot twist at the end. Some of the memorable stories include a young man that finds fantastic success in everything he does. He starts out as a programmer that starts his own bank that quickly dominates the banking industry and goes on to win political office. Is everything that happens to him too good to be true? Other stories include...

F
Fwwadmin
121 results - showing 101 - 110
« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »