Reviews written by Fwwadmin

121 results - showing 91 - 100
« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »
Ordering
April 09, 2016
Rating 

Dystopian
Divergent by Veronica Roth is popular because it is a great dystopian series

I read plenty of scifi books with some being from independent authors and other such as Divergent by Veronica Roth being a popular, mainstream book that has even been turned into a movie.  I often wonder if the book community somehow either looks down on mainstream books and authors or pumps them up more than they deserve to be. I say all this because Divergent is a great series that stands well on it's own as a great fantasy/dystopian storyline.  I usually enjoy books about young lead characters just starting out their career. ...

F
Fwwadmin
April 08, 2016
Rating 

Urban Fantasy
Rachel Morgan is a witch with interesting friends and powerful enemies

I just finished A Perfect Blood by Kim Harrison and here is my review.  A Perfect Blood is the 10th book in the Hollows series. Rachel Morgan is a demon or perhaps a better way to explain her is that she is a witch with a special blood type that gives her some of the powers of a demon while still also being a witch.  This book focuses on her special blood and the plot revolves around a group called Hapa that wants to take her blood and use it for evil purposes. ...

F
Fwwadmin
April 07, 2016
Rating 

Virtual reality gaming makes great scifi

I just finished and reviewed Ernest Cline's latest book, Armada, and felt I wanted to also review his early book, Ready Player One.  The stories in each book stand alone but have a common theme of integrating video game culture into the scifi genre.  In Ready Player One, Wade Watts, lives in a depressing future world except for the time he spends online in an incredibly diverse MMO called Oasis.  There is a contest going on and the winner gains great wealth and control over the game. This story had several references to classic video games such as Pacman...

F
Fwwadmin
April 05, 2016
Rating 

A Quest of Heroes by Morgan Rice is free and is a great fantasy series

What can I say about A Quest of Heroes that doesn't sound like a gushing fanboy?  I loved this book and found myself quickly reading several of the books in the Sorcerer's Ring series.  This first book in the series, A Quest of Heroes, is free and focuses on the origin of a young man named Thorgrin.  He is a young man that although he is only 11 years old he has a tremendous drive and belief that he is going to be someone great.  Yet when the King's Legion comes to pick new, young recruits Thorgrin gets passed...

F
Fwwadmin
April 04, 2016
Rating 

Fantasy
Eastern twist on mages and fantasy worlds

I read this book a few months ago and it is getting late tonight so I will give a simple abbreviated review here. Battle Magic is the story of earth and plant mages that travel to another region and end up fighting in a large battle.  If you think that plant and earth mages are not very powerful, you would be wrong.  There are some excellent battle scenes in this book but what makes the book so enjoyable is the characters.  You get to know two plant mages.  One is a young...

F
Fwwadmin
April 04, 2016
Rating 

SciFi that is based on Science- Lots of mystery on a spaceship

The Forever Watch is an excellent SciFi book with a city-full of people traveling for generations on a huge ship with plenty of mysteries.  The story starts quickly with Hana Dempsey, a city planner, receiving a welcome home party from her required pregnancy of which every woman is under suspended animation.  Why would she be required to have a baby but never get to see the child and even be unconscious during the whole pregnancy?   This book gets your attention right away. Her friend, Leon, come to her for help with...

F
Fwwadmin
April 04, 2016
Rating 

All Other Genres
An honest scientist finds herself employed by a corrupt nanotechnology company

Nano by Robin Cook is a medical thriller that revolves around what could happen if an honest scientist finds herself employed by a corrupt nanotechnology company that practices unethical practices such as human testing to advance the science.  Pia Grazdani is a bright young scientist that works in her lab at Nano to develop exciting new nanorobots.  One day she goes for a jog and finds a man who seems to be dying along the side of the road. When she uses her medical training to give him CPR he quickly recovers. ...

F
Fwwadmin
April 04, 2016
Rating 

All Other Genres
Action & Adventure with Nazis at the end of WWII

Empire and Honor is a new genre of Action & Adventure for my book reviews but not an unfamiliar plot.  This is the seventh book in the Honor Bound series but I didn't have any problem understanding the story.  The book is about a few men trying to stop the Nazis, who are trying to flee to Argentina, from selling nuclear materials to the Russians. I enjoyed this book but did not find it extremely memorable.  The beginning of the book is interesting with a young American soldier being put in charge of a German woman...

F
Fwwadmin
April 03, 2016
Rating 

All Other Genres
Two serial killers versus two detectives

Double Cross by James Patterson is the 13th book in the Alex Cross series and would be classified as either crime fiction or mystery & suspense.  The story involves two detectives, Dr. Alex Cross, and Detective Brianna Stone who are charged with the difficult and stressful case of finding and arresting a serial killer in Washington D.C. nicknamed the Audience Killer. The story starts out well with a fun way of meeting Alex and Brianna.  The two of them are on a romantic camping trip as boyfriend and girlfriend when Detective Brianna gets...

F
Fwwadmin
April 03, 2016
Rating 

SciFi
Classic SciFi focused on human experiences

Hyperion by Dan Simmons is a SciFi classic.  I don't just mean because it is a Hugo award winner or because of the plot that revolves around spaceships, aliens, and galactic war.  It goes deeper into what it means to be a human being.  Much like Isaac Asimov's Foundation series Hyperion is a book with meaning that educates you about who we are as a civilization and who we could become.  The story revolves around a group of 7 pilgrims who all have very unique life experiences. The pilgrims include a priest, a politician, a general,...

F
Fwwadmin
121 results - showing 91 - 100
« 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »