Review Detail

Fantasy V verna2017 September 11, 2017 1891
A whimsical adventure of pure fun
Rating 

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It reminded me of several others of the genre, all of them good. The character interaction is reminiscent of Eddings' Belgariad, but clearly unique to Ms. McKinnon's work. The plot is solid and drew me in quickly, and the marvelous detail of the world along with the pure fun of the interplay between familiars and humans kept me reading.

Perhaps best of all, there is no attempt to have this book take itself too seriously. Rather, it invites the reader to enjoy a fun romp with the main character, Runa, who is facing new challenges through inexperienced eyes.

We're seeing the tip of the ice burg with this novel; the author clearly has a well developed universe in which to set the story and there's no awkwardness in the dialogue. The entire experience is like slipping into a favorite pair of shoes--it's an immediately comfortable fit in which you're a natural, expected part.

This is a quick, fun read that will leave you asking when the second book is coming out.

Review

Format Reviewed
Paperback
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account